Vegetable salad is easy to make, healthful and delicious. You can use an endless variety of ingredients and serve it cold or warm. Eat as much as you like and these recipes will be kind to your waistline. Make a whole meal out of two or three salads!
Use your imagination to combine vegetables, nuts, cheese.
- Fresh corn, edamame, roasted bell peppers, green beans, avocado and cashews.
- Arugula, pears, goat cheese, pistachios nuts.
- Lettuce, tomato, mushrooms, hearts of palm
- Spinach, strawberries, sesame seeds
Have fun with your dressing: experiment with oil, vinegar, herbs and more.
- Try these vinegars, using more than one in a given dressing: red wine, sherry, raspberry, balsamic, rice wine.
- Try a dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar Dijon mustard, onion powder and black pepper.
- Try adding any of the following: sugar, lemon juice (which can substitute for vinegar), basil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano.
- Add grains and beans: edamame, tofu, lentils, quinoa, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, rice
- Add grilled chicken, shrimp, steak, tofu.
- Add nuts such as almonds, pecans, cashews, pistachios.
- Add fruit such as pears, apples, strawberries, orange slices.
Try this Warm Vegetable Salad from Giada De Laurentiis.
- 2 whole red peppers
- 1 1/2 pound assorted red and white new potatoes
- 3/4 pounds green beans, trimmed and halved
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano leaves
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the broiler. Place the red peppers on a foil lined baking sheet.
Place the red peppers under the boiler. Turning every 2 to 3 minutes cook the peppers until the skin is blistered, about 8 to 9 minutes total. Place the blistered peppers in a plastic bag. Seal the bag and allow the peppers to sit for 10 minutes to allow the skin to separate and to let cool.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the potatoes to a cutting board. Add the green beans to the pot. Cook the green beans until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove the green beans to a large bowl. Slice the potatoes in half while still warm and combine them with the green beans in the large bowl. Remove the peppers from the plastic bag. Peel off the skin from the peppers. Slice the pepper flesh into wide strips and remove the seeds and veins. Place them in the bowl with the potatoes. Add the scallions, parsley, and garlic and toss to combine.
In a small bowl combine the oregano, lemon juice and zest, and white wine vinegar. Whisk in the olive oil. Stir in the salt and pepper. Toss the warm vegetables with the herb vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
More fabulous vegetable and salad recipes:
- 12 Quick, Easy Vegetable Recipes
- One-Dish, Low-Cal Meal With Countless Variations
- Collection of Fave Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes (Pin This!)
- Everything Tomato: Recipes, Storing, Freezing, Peeling, Harvesting
- 7 Mouthwatering Ideas for Roasting Vegetables